Save the date: Independent Bookshop Week 2020 will take place 20 – 27 June. Independent Bookshop Week is part of the Books Are My Bag campaign and run by the Booksellers Association, and seeks to celebrate independent bookshops in the UK and Ireland.
Follow @booksaremybag for all things Independent Bookshop Week and bookshops!
NB: OPENING from 1-8 June order & collect only, doors closed. From Thurs 11th June bookshop open to customers Thurs, Fri & Sat 10am to 4pm, doors open. Mondays order & collect only for now.
SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED FOR THE 2020 INDIE BOOK AWARDS
Bernardine Evaristo, Elif Shafak and Damian Barr are among the writers shortlisted by independent booksellers for the Indie Book Awards 2020. Spanning four categories of fiction, children’s fiction, picture book and a new non-fiction prize, the shortlists were announced today (15th May). The winners will be chosen by a panel of indie booksellers, authors and industry influencers and announced on 26th June during Independent Bookshop Week.
– The Offing by Benjamin Myers (Bloomsbury)
– 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak (Penguin)
– You Will Be Safe Here by Damian Barr (Bloomsbury)
– Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi (Picador)
– Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (Corsair)
– Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo (Penguin)
– Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner (Hodder & Stoughton)
– War Doctor by David Nott (Picador)
– The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold (Black Swan)
– Extraordinary Insects: Weird. Wonderful. Indispensable. The Ones Who Run Our World by Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson (Mudlark)
– Mudlarking by Lara Maiklem (Bloomsbury)
– No Win Race by Derek A Bardowell (Mudlark)
CHILDREN’S FICTION SHORTLIST
– Toffee by Sarah Crossan (Bloomsbury)
– Deeplight by Frances Hardinge (Macmillan Children’s Books)
– Chinglish: An Almost Entirely True Story by Sue Cheung (Andersen Press)
– The Star Outside my Window by Onjali Q. Rauf (Orion Children’s Books)
– The Somerset Tsunami by Emma Carroll (Faber & Faber)
– The Girl Who Speaks Bear by Sophie Anderson (Usborne)
PICTURE BOOK SHORTLIST
– Animalphabet by Julia Donaldson & Sharon King-Chai (Two Hoots)
– Greta and the Giants by Zoe Tucker & Zoe Persico (Frances Lincoln Children’s Books)
– Don’t Worry Little Crab by Chris Haughton (Walker Books)
– Alfie on Holiday by Shirley Hughes (Puffin Books)
– I’m Sticking With You by Smriti Halls and Steve Small (Simon & Schuster)
– Franklin and Luna Go To The Moon by Jen Campbell, illustrated by Katie Harnett (Thames & Hudson)